onsdag 24 februari 2016

1 054. Tower




I woke up with my cheek on a stone floor. The rain had already washed away the thin layer of snow that fell the day before. We had been waiting for over a month for that first snowfall and it was already gone with one quick flush. It fell so gently, so slowly, so hesitantly. As if afraid of being rejected. I had plans to take a long walk watching it lay to rest on top of fields and treetops. Once I stepped out the door however, I realized I wouldn’t get far at all. I just stood there overwhelmed by the serenity of the scenery. As I got to the end of the picturesque little street, I was already done for.
For as long as I could withstand the cold I stood there and let the snow fall on me as it did on the rooftops around me. In the lamplight it was even prettier. All those sounds you can hear only when you listen carefully, slowly sidled out of the grey mass of noise like shy little animals. You just have to stay still and patiently wait. I opened my mouth and stretched out my tongue.
The light fog that hovered over the cold stones tasted just like the snow that fell that night. I wondered how many days it had been. I had promised myself I wouldn’t leave until I found a good reason not to stay.
I cant say why that tower had captured me. Something had happed when I ran my fingers across the surface of the outside wall. Once they hit wood it was over. I knew I couldn’t just walk away. So I opened the door and stepped in. When I got back home I was 5 kilos lighter and nobody had missed me. This was the life I lived then. This was the life I lived after last time we met.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar